Coral Princess Hotel & Dive Resort Cozumel is committed to help Cozumel’s natural areas and living species. We have recently started active programs with the City Council and other local organizations to contribute in a positive way to this Tropical Paradise in México, the beautiful Cozumel Island who has sheltered us through 21 years and has given us many things. It’s time to pay back now that the World needs us.
Our programs are part of what is considered Sustainable Tourism, a type of tourism which involves visitors and the local community in a same path to preserve a certain destination. Tourists and locals have to cause the lowest negative impact on the environment and culture but a very positive effect: employment and cultural richness. Sustainable tourism implies taking some actions like:
- Gathering information about the culture, politics, and economy of the community being visited
- Anticipating and respecting local cultures, expectations and assumptions
- Contributing to intercultural understanding and tolerance
- Supporting the integrity of local cultures by favoring businesses which conserve cultural heritage and traditional values
- Supporting local economies by purchasing local goods and participating with small, local businesses
- Conserving resources by seeking out businesses that are environmentally conscious, and by using the least possible amount of non-renewable resources
In a few words: fully conscious.
On the other hand, we have also considered some ecotouristic actions. Different from the popular belief, ecotourism‘s purpose is to educate the traveler, providing funds to ecological conservation and seeking respect for cultural, human and environmental rights.
These programs focus on volunteer work enhancing personal growth and environmental responsibility. In other words, our goal is to offer visitors an insight into the impact of men on the environment, favoring a greater appreciation of Cozumel’s natural habitats.
- Marine Turtle Protection and Conservation Program – Night brigades every Wednesday from May to October to locate, mark and track turtle nests
- Red Mangrove Reforestation
- Beach cleaning brigades
- Awareness campaigns about endemic and local species
Donations go directly to each program for material acquisition and awareness campaigns.
Up-coming programs and activities
- Bird watch at Cozumel’s Country Club
- Bonefish awareness campaign and volunteer protection program to preserve wetlands
All the water used at Coral Princess Hotel & Dive Resort Cozumel is heated through solar panels. Rooms have energy saving systems activated only when someone is inside.